Savannah, GA 31401
Not open to the public
The Armstrong Mansion is an expansive granite and glazed-brick mansion which exemplifies Italian renaissance architectural style. It was built between 1916 and 1919. It was owned by George Ferguson Armstrong who was a successful Savannah shipping businessman.
In the spring of 1935, Savannah Mayor Thomas Gamble proposed that Savannah should have a junior college that could serve the young peopled who were unable to afford the cost of higher education away from home. But he needed a structure for the new junior college.
On May 27, 1935, Gamble announced that the new junior college would take its residence in the magnificent gray brick mansion of the late George Ferguson Armstrong. George Armstrong's widow, Lucy Camp Armstrong Moltz, and their daughter, Lucy Armstrong Johnson, agreed to give their former home to the city to fulfill the mayor's proposal.
Located on the southern edge of Savannah's historic district, the Armstrong mansion was the last of the great homes that had been built in the downtown area. It stood at the head of Bull Street, between the historic squares of downtown Savannah to the north and the green expanse of Forsyth Park to the south. The Armstrong mansion was home to the junior college for the next thirty years.
Today, this beautiful mansion houses a Savannah based law firm. This impressive structure is recognizable as the law office exterior shots from the movie "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil".