Telfair Square to Greene Square (5 Squares)

Telfair Square To Greene Square Map in Savannah GA.
W. State and E. State Street (5 Squares):

Points of Interest:

Telfair Square

OneTrinity Methodist Church

TwoTelfair Academy

ThreeJepson Center

Wright Square

FourJuliette Gordon Low Birthplace

FiveBallastone Inn (Bed & Breakfast)

SixLutheran Church of Ascension

Oglethorpe Square

SevenOwens-Thomas House

Columbia Square

EightKehoe House

NineDavenport House

  • Wormsloe Fountain - Center of Columbia Square

Greene Square

TenSecond African Baptist Church

-----------------------------------------

Telfair Square

Telfair Square in Savannah GA.Telfair Square Map in Savannah GA.
Points of Interest

OneTrinity Methodist Church

TwoTelfair Academy

ThreeJepson Center

Telfair Square was the last of four squares that was laid out in 1733, before James Oglethorpe returned to England for a visit. This square was name in honor of the Telfair family and their contributions to early Savannah history and culture. Telfair Square is located on Barnard, between State and York Streets.

Mary Telfairs’ brother, Alexander, built one of the beautiful and notable mansions at 121 Barnard Street. This home was deeded to the city upon her death and opened as the Telfair Museum of Arts and Sciences in 1886.

The historic Trinity Methodist Church is located at 127 Barnard on Telfair Square. This Greek Revival style church was built in 1848.

-----------------------------------------

Wright Square *****

Gordon Mounment at Wright Square in Savannah GA.Wright Square Map in Savannah GA.
Points of Interest

FourJuliette Gordon Low Birthplace

FiveBallastone Inn (Bed & Breakfast)

SixLutheran Church of Ascension

Wright Square is one of the original 4 Squares to be laid in 1733 by General Oglethorpe. Wright Square is located on Bull, between State and York Streets.

A courthouse has stood on this square since the time of Oglethorpe. Monthly auctions of livestock, government bonds, furniture and other goods were held in Wright Square.

Wright Square was the location of the Gallows in Colonial Savannah. The hangings which took place in Wright Square were public hangings. The first jail in historic Savannah was at the north end of Wright Square in the 1700's and 1800's. If any of the prisoners were sentenced to death they were sent to the gallows in Wright Square. After they were hung their bodies were simply buried right behind the gallows. Today, there is a CVS on the site of the jail and the Courthouse stands where the gallows once stood. The post office also stands on the square. It is located on the west side and was constructed in 1898. The current courthouse was built in 1889.

The Lutheran Church of the Ascension is located on the northeast trust lot. This is one of Savannah’s most loved churches and landmarks. It was built in the Norman and Gothic styles and has one of Savannah’s most dramatic church interiors.

Tomochichi Monument in Wright Square in Savannah GA.Originally, the grave site of Chief Tomo-Chi-Chi, the Yamacraw chief who offered peace and cooperation with the settlers, occupied the center of Wright Square after his death in 1739. More than 100 years later, after William W. Gordon brought immense wealth to Savannah by constructing a railroad which brought cotton to the docks and wharves of Savannah from distant plantations, the Savanahians felt that he should be honored by a memorial in Wright Square. Therefore, they removed Tomo-Chi-Chi’s grave and replaced it with a monument to Gordon, which is there today.

Gordon's widow objected strongly to this perceived insult to Tomochichi. She and other members of the Colonial Dames of the State of Georgia planned to erect a new monument to Tomochichi. A massive piece of granite from Stone Mountain, purchased and planned by William Gordon’s widow and other members of the Colonial Dames of Georgia, was erected in 1899 to honor Tomochichi. Tomochichi was laid to rest on the southeast side of Wright Square.

-----------------------------------------

Oglethorpe Square

Oglethorpe Square in Savannah GA. Map of Oglethorpe Square in Savannah GA.
Points of Interest

SevenOwens-Thomas House

Oglethorpe Square was laid out in 1742 and was named in honor of Georgia founder General James Oglethorpe. At the northeast of the square is Owens-Thomas House. It is considered, both in its day and today, Savannah’s most sophisticated house.

The Presidents' Quarters Inn, a 16-room historic bed and breakfast, is located on the southeast side. Oglethorpe Square is located on Abercorn, between State and York Streets; President Street intersects east and west.

Oglethorpe Square was the final square of the six that James Oglethorpe laid out during the time that he resided in the colony

-----------------------------------------

Columbia Square

Wormsloe Fountain at Columbia Square in Savannah GA. Columbia Square Map in Savannah GA.
Points of Interest

EightKehoe House

NineDavenport House

  • Wormsloe Fountain - Center of Columbia Square

Columbia Square was laid out in 1799 and is named for Columbia, the poetic personification of the United States. It is located on Habersham, between State and York Streets. In the center of the square is a lovely cast iron fountain imported from the Wormsloe Plantation,the estate of Noble Jones, one of Georgia's first settlers. The fountain is decorated with vines, leaves, flowers, and other woodland motifs.

Columbia Square is a lovely square shaded by four giant live oaks. Nearby is the Davenport House, built in 1812, Victorian Mansion and The Kehoe House which was built in 1892.

-----------------------------------------

Greene Square

Greene Square in Savannah GA. Greene Square Map in Savannah GA.
Points of Interest

TenSecond African Baptist Church

Greene Square was laid out in 1799 and is named for Revolutionary War hero General Nathanael Greene who fought the English in the south during the Revolution. The square is located on Houston, between State and York Streets.

The church located at 123 Houston Street was built in 1925 for the Second African Baptist Church. It replaced an earlier church structure which had been built in 1802, the year the church was formed by Andrew Bryan. Also on the square is the Green Palm Inn built in 1897. It is now a bed & breakfast.

-----------------------------------------