In 1733 four open squares were laid out in Savannah by General James Edward Oglethorpe creating America's first pre-planned city. Additional squares were added during the 18th and 19th centuries, and by 1851 there were 24 squares. In the 20th century, three of the squares were demolished or altered beyond recognition, leaving 21. In 2010, one of the three "lost" squares, Ellis, was reclaimed but Elbert Square and Liberty Square wer lost in the 1930's.
Each square measures approximately 200 feet from east to west, but the squares vary north to south from approximately 100 to 300 feet. Traffic flows one-way which is counterclockwise around the squares.
The five squares along Bull Street — Monterey, Madison Chippewa, Wright and Johnson — were intended to be grand monument spaces and have been called Savannah's "Crown Jewels". Many of the other squares were designed more simply as parks, although most serve as memorials as well.
Architect John Massengale has called Savannah's city plan "the most intelligent grid in America, perhaps the world", and Edmund Bacon wrote that "it remains as one of the finest diagrams for city organization and growth in existence."
Above is a photo of Orleans Square.
To see all the Squares: