Lutheran Church of the Ascension
Savannah, GA 31401
Hours: Open to the public
Monday - Saturday: 9:00a - 2:00p
The Lutheran Church of the Ascension is one of Savannah's most familiar landmarks. Exiled by Catholic authorities in Salzburger, a small group of Lutherans arrived in Savannah in 1734, about a year after General Oglethorpe. In 1771, the church trustees purchased the present lot, where the current church now stands.
The Lutheran Church of the Ascension combines both Norman and Gothic styles and was completed between 1875-1879. The main sanctuary features a beautiful Ascension window with stained glass windows presenting scenes from the life of Christ on each side. A marble altar depicts da Vinci's "Last Supper."
The church served as a hospital for the sick and wounded during the Civil War. Pew cushions were used for beds and the pews for firewood. Although the church was extensively damaged, the building was not destroyed. A major renovation was begun in 1875 and a second story was added. The Ascension Window arrived in October 1878, and the new building was dedicated in April 1879.
The present interior, basically the same since it was built, has been renovated several times. Between 1921 and 1936, six windows depicting the life of Christ were given as memorials.
The present church was erected in 1843 and the remodeling was completed in 1879. The church was dedicated as 'The Evangelical Lutheran Church of the Ascension.' The choice of the name is connected with the beautiful stained glass window behind the altar, portraying the Ascension of Christ into heaven