Savannah, GA 31401
The James Oglethorpe monument is a 9-foot bronze statue. It was dedicated in 1910 to pay tribute to the founder of the Georgia Colony. The statue of Oglethorpe presides over Chippewa Square and faces the south so that he can keep a watchful eye on the Spanish threat from Florida.
Oglethorpe is depicted in the full dress of a British General with sword in hand. A palmetto frond lies at his feet. The nine-foot statue stands atop a pedestal on which is carved a portion of the charter of the colony. The four lions at the corners of the base hold shields representing the coat of arms of Oglethorpe and the great seals of the Colony of Georgia, and the City of Savannah. A portion of the original charter granted by Parliament in 1732 is carved into the pedestal.