South end of Historic District at Bull Street and Gaston Street
Points of Interest
- Forsyth Park Fountain
- Confederate Monument - South of the Fountain
- Fragrant Garden - Located west of the Confederate Monument and adjacent to Whitaker Street behind a wrought-iron fence. Open 9:00a - 2:00p Mondays through Fridays
Forsyth Park is not one of the Squares -- but it is a must see on any tour of the Squares. It is at the very Southern end of the Historical District.
Forsyth Park is the largest park in the historic district of Savannah Georgia. It was originally created in the 1840s on 10 acres of land. In 1851, the park was expanded and named for Georgia Governor John Forsyth. Mr. Forsyth also donated 20 acres of his land to increase the park to occupy 30 acres in the historic district of Savannah. The park is bordered by Gaston Street on the North, Drayton Street on the East, Park Avenue on the South and Whitaker Street on the West. Forsyth Park is located at the southern edge of the Historic District.
Forsyth Fountain in Forsyth Park. The most popular feature of Forsyth Park is the large fountain that sits at the north end of Forsyth Park. The fountain was built and added to Forsyth Park in 1858. It resembles fountains in Paris and Peru. Every year on St. Patrick’s Day the city of Savannah dyes the water in the fountain green in celebration of Savannah's deep Irish heritage.
All around the Forsyth Park Fountain are benches. On any given day you can find many people, especially locals, lounging on the benches, relaxing, reading or taking in the scenery.
Forsyth Park is a hub of social interaction. There are people playing recreation sports, sun bathing, reading or just relaxing. On Saturdays there is a great farmer’s Market that takes place in Forsyth Park.
Today Forsyth Park features walking paths, open areas, beautiful tree cover, a fragrance garden and Savannah's magnificent Confederate Monument
The Confederate Monument is one of the largest Confederate monuments and is located at the far end of Forsyth Park pass the fountain. This impressive monument honored local Civil War veterans as well as those who had lost their lives in the bloody conflict. The Confederate Monument was erected in Forsyth Park in 1879.