- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Bonaventure Cemetery

Bonaventure Cemetery

Bonaventure Cemetery

330 Bonaventure Road
ThunderboltGA  31404
(912) 651-6843

Hours:
8:00a - 5:00p

Bonaventure Cemetery lies along the Wilmington River, a short distance from Savannah's "historic district. Settled by Colonel Mylryne about 1760, he built a red brick plantation house on the land and named the place Bonaventure, which means "good fortune" in French. The plantation was the site for Mary's (Mulryne's daughter) wedding to Josiah Tattnall in 1761. The property was seized during the Revolutionary War after Mulryne and Tattnell declared themselves Loyalists and left for England. Tattnall's son returned after the war and purchased the home from James Habersham. The property remained in the hands of the family until 1840 when it was sold to Captain Peter Wilberger, owner of the Pulaski house for use as a cemetery. The city of Savannah purchased the cemetery in 1907.

Read more: Bonaventure Cemetery

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Colonial Park Cemetery

Colonial Park Cemetery

Colonial Park Cemetery

201 Abercorn Street
SavannahGA  31401

Hours:
November - March 8:00a - 5:00p
March - November 8:00a - 8:00p

Colonial Park Cemetery is located in the heart of Savannah's Historic District and served as Savannah’s primary public cemetery from 1750 to 1853. It was established in 1750 and by 1789 had expanded by 300 percent to the current size of six acres. Among those buried here are Button Gwinnett, a signer of the Declaration of Independence. This cemetery is a popular stop for local ghost tours, including one walking tour that goes right through the cemetery at night.

Read more: Colonial Park Cemetery

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Laurel Grove Cemetery

Laurel Grove Cemetery

Laurel Grove Cemetery

Laurel Grove Cemetery

2101 Kollach Street
SavannahGA  31401
(912) 651-6772

Hours:
Daily  8:00a - 5:00p

Laurel Grove Cemetery includes the original cemetery for whites (now known as Laurel Grove North) and a companion burial ground (called Laurel Grove South) that was reserved for slaves and free people of color. The original cemetery has countless graves of many of Savannah's Confederate veterans of the American Civil War. Laurel Grove South holds the graves of thousands of slaves and free blacks from coastal Georgia.

Read more: Laurel Grove Cemetery