- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Chasseurs volontaires de Saint-Domingue

Chasseurs volontaires de Saint-Domingue

Chasseurs volontaires de Saint-Domingue

Chasseurs volontaires de Saint-Domingue

Intersection of Montgomery and West Bryan Streets
SavannahGA  31401
 

Chasseurs-Volontaires de Saint-Domingue Monument is a memorial honoring Haitian Volunteers who fought with Pulaski during the Siege of Savannah in 1779.

Chasseurs-Volontaires de Saint-Domingue was a group of white colonists and 800 native riflemen and slaves, from French colonial Saint-Domingue (present day Haiti), who participated in the War of American Independence in Savannah, Georgia.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

City Exchange Fire Bell Monument

City Exchange Fire Bell Monument

City Exchange Fire Bell Monument

City Exchange Fire Bell Monument

At Bay and Drayton Streets
SavannahGA  31401
 

The City Exchange Fire Bell hung in the cupola of the City Exchange for 100 years until the building was torn down to make way for City Hall. The bell signaled the closing time for shops, served as a fire alarm, and was often used in celebrations and in tributes for fallen heroes.

Read more: City Exchange Fire Bell Monument

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Confederate Monument

Confederate Monument

Confederate Monument

Confederate Monument

In South End of Forsyth Park near Park Street
SavannahGA  31401
 

The Confederate Monument is one of the largest Confederate monuments and is located at the far end of Forsyth Park pass the fountain. This impressive monument honored local Civil War veterans as well as those who had lost their lives in the bloody conflict. The Confederate Monument was erected in Forsyth Park in 1879.

Read more: Confederate Monument

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Dr. Noble Wimberly Jones Medical Monument

Dr. Noble Wimberly Jones Medical Monument

Dr. Noble Wimberly Jones Medical Monument

Dr. Noble Wimberly Jones Medical Monument

At Bay and Drayton Streets
SavannahGA  31401
 

Noble Wimberly Jones, patriot, born near London, England, in 1724; died in Savannah, Georgia, 9 January, 1805. He was the son of Dr. Noble Jones, an early settler of Georgia. The son was associated with his father in the practice of medicine in Savannah from 1748 till 1756.

Noble W. Jones and his sister, Mary, were members of the first group of Georgia colonists. He was trained for a medical career by his father, who was also in government service. Like his father, Noble W. Jones accumulated thousands of acres of land, including his estate at Wormsloe, in the young colony. His planting interests, particularly in rice lands along the Ogeechee River, contributed considerably to his income.

Read more: Dr. Noble Wimberly Jones Medical Monument

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Gordon Monument

Gordon Monument

Gordon Monument

Gordon Monument

Intersection of Bull and East President Streets
SavannahGA  31401
 

The William Washington Gordon monument was erected in 1883 to honor the founder and president of Georgia’s first railroad, the Central Railroad and Banking Company. He is also known as the grandfather of Juliette Gordon Low, Founder of the Girl Scouts of America.

 

 

Read more: Gordon Monument

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

John Wesley Monument

John Wesley Monument

John Wesley Monument

John Wesley Monument

Intersection of Abercorn and East St. Julian Streets
SavannahGA  31401
 

The John Wesley Monument stands in the center of Reynolds Square near the place where Wesley’s parish house once stood. He was the founder of Methodism in 1703-1791. The a bronze statue of John Wesley depicts him as a young man wearing his Church of England vestments. According to the sculptor, "The monument is as he looks up from his Bible toward his congregation, about to speak and stretching out his right hand in love, invitation and exhortation. In contrast, the hand holding the Bible is intense and powerful-the point of contact with the Almighty."

Read more: John Wesley Monument

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Nathanael Greene Monument

Nathanael Greene Monument

Nathanael Greene Monument

Nathanael Greene Monument

Intersection of Bull and East St. Julian Streets
SavannahGA  31401
 

The Nathanael Greene monument on Johnson Square honors one of America’s top Revolutionary War officers. Brigadier General Nathanael Greene was second only to George Washington. Greene and Washington were the only two Continental generals that served throughout the entire American Revolution.

Read more: Nathanael Greene Monument

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Oglethorpe Monument

Oglethorpe Monument

Oglethorpe Monument

Oglethorpe Monument

Intersection of Bull and East McDonough Streets
SavannahGA  31401
 

The James Oglethorpe monument is a 9-foot bronze statue. It was dedicated in 1910 to pay tribute to the founder of the Georgia Colony. The statue of Oglethorpe presides over Chippewa Square and faces the south so that he can keep a watchful eye on the Spanish threat from Florida.

Read more: Oglethorpe Monument

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Old Harbor Light

Old Harbor Light

Old Harbor Light

Old Harbor Light

At Bay and Drayton Streets
SavannahGA  31401
 

The Old Harbor Light was erected by the United States Lighthouse Board to guide ships into the Savannah Harbor and avoid the hulls of sunken ships in the channel. The British had sunk these ships in 1779 to prevent the French and American ships from entering Savannah during the Revolutionary War.

In October 1855, J.F. Gilmer, Captain of Engineers, sent the following to the Lighthouse Board recommending the erection of "a harbor beacon on 'the bay,' city of Savannah, as an aid to vessels approaching the city at night."

Read more: Old Harbor Light

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Pulaski Monument

Pulaski Monument

Pulaski Monument

Pulaski Monument

Intersection of Bull and East Wayne Streets
SavannahGA  31401
 

The Casimir Pulaski Monument is a tall statue of a wounded soldier which pays tribute to General Casimir Pulaski, a young Polish nobleman who fell as a hero during the American Revolution. The cornerstone of the Casimir Pulaski Monument was placed during ceremonies on the afternoon of Oct. 11, 1853.

Read more: Pulaski Monument

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Sergeant Jasper Monument

Sergeant Jasper Monument

Sergeant Jasper Monument

Sergeant Jasper Monument

Intersection of Bull and East Macon Streets
SavannahGA  31401
 

William Jasper was a noted American soldier in the Revolutionary War. He was a sergeant in the 2nd South Carolina Regiment. In 1779, Sergeant Jasper participated in the Siege of Savannah, led by General Lincoln, which failed to recapture Savannah, Georgia, from the British. He was mortally wounded during an assault on the British forces there.

Sergeant William Jasper Monument was unveiled in 1888 and moralizes the Georgia Revolutionary War hero killed at the Siege of Savannah in October 1779 while attempting to rescue the colors of his regiment.

Read more: Sergeant Jasper Monument

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Waving Girl Statue

Waving Girl Statue

Waving Girl Statue

Waving Girl Statue

East end of River Street
SavannahGA  31401
 

The Waving Girl Statue by renowned sculptor Felix De Weldon, the sculptor of the United States Marine Corps Memorial in Arlington, depicts Florence with her loyal collie.

Florence was a young girl and she was lonely on the island. At first she would run out to wave at her friends passing and was so tickled when they blew their whistle back at her.

Read more: Waving Girl Statue