Hamilton-Turner Inn (circa 1873)
Savannah, GA 31401
The Hamilton-Turner House is a Victorian mansion that was built in 1873 for Samuel Pugh Hamilton. Mr. Hamilton and his wife, Sarah, wanted a house that was suited for lavish entertainment. The Hamilton’s spared no expense in the construction of their new home. It was equipped with talking pipes for conversation through the four floors, a dumb waiter, skylights and a tin roof, which protected the mansion from destruction from the great Savannah fire of 1898. The Hamilton-Turner house was also the first house in Savannah to have electricity in 1883 and an indoor bath and privy was installed 3 years later.
The home was later owned and occupied by Doctor Francis Turner, an osteopath who was an owner of Savannah’s first electric cars. Dr. Francis Turner purchased the house from the Hamilton estate in 1915 and lived there with his family until 1926. The mansion was opened for boarding and became a home for the Marine Hospital nurses in 1928. The Turner family moved back into the home in the 1940s.
Today the Hamilton-Turner House is an bed and breakfast inn and has been nicknamed the "Grand Victorian Lady.